Monday, September 24, 2007

Who Knew?

I have had a lot of gnats in my kitchen lately and can't seem to get rid of them. Must be the season for them. I have been extra careful not to leave food out or dirty dishes in the sink or ripe fruit on the counter, but no matter what I do they still manage to loiter around my kitchen. Until now that is! Thanks to Jen. Todd and I were over to her house yesterday and she had a bowl on her counter covered with aluminum foil and little holes poked in it. Upon inquiry we found out that if you put vinegar in a bowl and poke small holes in it, the gnats can get it, but then they aren't smart enough to get out and eventually they drown in the vinegar. So I thought I would give it a try, and this morning I had quite a few little gnats floating around in the vinegar. So if you read this Jen, thanks for the tip, I never knew that.

I share this info with you because I am amazed at how well it works, and want to tell others in case they too have the same problem, AND because I have nothing else to post about. I am sick today (sore throat, sinus congestion, HA) and will probably spend the rest of the day in bed or on the couch doing a whole lot of nothing, which will surely not lead to anything more worthy of blog posting than this. But tomorrow is the 3D ultrasound, so hopefully I will have time to post pics before I go to work.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Sorry you're sick.

Hope Nat reads your post. She seems to have the same fruitfly/gnat problem that you have!

Cecelia said...

I hope you feel better soon. You don't get sick often. What happened?

I'm glad to hear about the gnat solution. I've been going crazy at my house. I cover everything with a dish towel or I've been putting the food in the refrigerator, but they still find their way to my kitchen. I'm going to try it.

Francie said...

I have the same problem! I just thought it was a result of the squash and apples I have on my countertops...
I'm going to try the vinagar idea at lunch time.

Denise said...

Oh, my gosh! This is my problem exactly! I left out a wine bottle with about an inch of wine left in it and that worked too. They get in but can't get out. I just threw out the bottle and the gnats are worse then ever! I'm wondering if that solves the problem though. Where are they coming from?!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Had I known about the vinegar thing I really could have used that this spring. Had the same trouble. They infested my house plants too!!!
Little buggers!
DIE!