Friday, September 7, 2007

I've been robbed! But don't panic, it's not as bad as it sounds

Last night I was paying bills and realized that once again I have become a victim of credit card fraud. Actually, I may not have noticed at all if it weren't for Todd, he was questioning why my Discover card bill was so much. I use it as my debit card to buy groceries, gas and everything else I buy that month, so don't worry about it was my answer. But then he got me thinking, and it did seem a little high, so I decided to look over the items and see just what exactly I had bought that month. Right away I noticed that I had a wallet protection plan on my card that cost 2.99 a month, and was annoyed because I don't recall signing up for that. Now I think I'll let that slide, it may just come in handy. Then I notice a $358 charge for CSN Stores and another $24 charge American Collegiate that I don't recall making.

I called Discover card, they looked into it and said it was an online purchase. I do shop online, but I really don't recall making any purchases for that amount or to that store last month, I've never even heard of that website. But then again 2 days ago I bought a case of cherry coke and a pair of pants and both are now missing. I have looked everywhere, and they are nowhere to be found. Yesterday when I was making spaghetti sauce we needed a few more lids to be boiled for the jars and instead of throwing them in the small pot of boiling water I threw them all in with the spaghetti sauce. So I have been a little scatterbrained lately, but I really don't think I made those purchases. Good thing I had wallet protection, Discover Card credited my account last night for the $358 and $24 charges while they investigate.

I don't know how this could happen because I still have the credit card in my wallet. The last time this happened to me I still had the credit card too, it was one I had never even used, I found it in a shoe box with the activation sticker still on it after I realized there was a fraud charge. I now shred all my mail before I throw it out, so I have no idea how this could have happened. How do people get this info without having your card? Do I have to stop shopping online? Someone once told me they never pay for dinner at a restraunt with a credit card because the waitress takes you card to run it out of your sight and has ample time to write down #'s if she wants to. I thought this person was being a little too cautious, but now maybe not. Even though I know that isn't what happened to me, I don't have any restraunt charges on my credit card bill. But it is something to think about.

No comments: