Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Time to pick a name

I wanted the title of my post to be: I say tomato, he says tomato, and put that little squiggly line over the a, but I don't know how to do that. But I'm thinking of that song from When Harry met Sally. You know the one I'm talking about right?

Lately I have been trying to get more serious about picking out a name for our little baby that will be here soon. Todd is not worried, he seems to think we can pick out a name in no time at all once he gets here. But if we haven't come up with something in 6 months I don't see how the baby's presence is going to speed things up and make naming him easy.

Todd claims he is not picky, he just wants one of 2 names: Lucio (Todd's great grandfather's name)or Russell (Todd's dad's name). Apparently it is an Italian tradition to name your first son after his paternal grandfather. The second son after the maternal grandfather, the first daughter after then paternal grandmother, and the second daughter after the maternal grandmother. With a tradition like this you don't get to pick out your own kids name until your 5th child. We are not following that tradition, but Todd does want the boy to be named after his dad or his great grandfather.

I have tried to avoid an Italian name but I am having trouble convincing Todd.
My argument is that Todd is only half Italian, and I am not Italian at all, so our baby will only be 25% Italian.
Todd's answer to that is: Italian is dominant.
Another point I made is that we live in America, and it isn't nice to give a kid such an ethnic name that is so different from American names. I asked him how he would like it if he had been named Lucio.
Todd's answer: I would be honored. It was my great grandfather Lucio that left Italy and came to America. If it weren't for him we wouldn't even be having this baby.

Okay that's a bit of a stretch, but do you see what I am up against?
I tried to compromise and suggest Anthony, that's Italian right? Todd reply was: Antonio.
I suggested Leo, he says how bout Leonardo?

So I have given up, I am afraid this is a battle I can't win. Todd has been accommodating enough to let me choose Lucio or Russell, and I can even use it as a middle name. One of those names just has to be in there somewhere. However, if I use it as a middle name, the first name still has to be an Italian name. So I guess Logan is out.

Tonight at work I am going to come up with a list of name options and I will put another poll on my blog to see what everyone else likes. Feel free to leave me a comment and let me know if you have any suggestions. Italian suggestions that is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always put a name on the birth cert but then use an abreeved version... Leonardo (Leo), Logano/a (Logan) ; )

Here a a website with Italian baby names... good luck!

http://www.babynamenetwork.com/baby_names/origins/Italian_baby_names.cfm

Cecelia said...

I just took a look at the babynamenetwork.com and I have two suggestions. I think either one is really nice and they both include Todd's great grandfather's name Lucio.
Lucio Valentino (strong, healthy)
Lucio Zanipolo (little gift of God)
I hope you are ready for everyone's input. I sure had fun picking out all of my children's names.

Shannon said...

As to the opposite extreme... Andy had no opinion what-so-ever. Two days before Madeline was born he came up with Abaleen. I told him if he didn't like a name I picked out he should just tell me. Its better them making one up (Abaleen was inspired by the name Abigale Nicole, which obciously he didnt care for). On the way to the hospital, he told me I could name her anything I wanted to. Talk about pressure! It took me 3 days to commit.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I would stand up for yourself(and the baby). You are the one carrying this baby for 40 weeks not him. This baby has to live with this name for the rest of his life. Why not name it Angelo then after The Grandfather? So if it was a girl would u name it Nancy? GOod LUCK!!

Lori said...

Okay, I give up, who left the anonymous comment? I think you must know me, and probably know Todd even better or you wouldn't have known his grandfathers name. It's not nice to leave a pregnant girl guessing!