Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My favorite part of Thanksgiving! (at least my favorite food)
And it has to be homemade Libby's brand pumpkin pie served chilled with cool whip!
What's your favorite?
My least favorite part about making pie is the crust! Ever since Pillsbury came out with those ready made pie crusts I haven't made a crust from scratch. They are so good, you can't even tell they aren't homemade, you just unroll them onto the pie plate. Unfortunately when I was at the store yesterday I forgot to buy a package, so when I got ready to make the pies today, I had to make a choice, go to the store again on the day before thanksgiving and fight the rush of last minute shoppers, or make the pie crust from scratch. It was also cold and rainy outside so I decided to go for the old fashioned method and make my own. It wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be, and I forgot how good leftover raw pie dough tastes. You know, the part you cut off the edges.


This year we are having Thanksgiving at my sister Rachael's house, my mom and step-dad are here from New York and my sister Shannon and her family are also coming from New York. Francie and her boyfriend will be there, as will myself and Todd, and my sister Natalie will be here for the weekend. This is the first year since Todd and I have been together that we are having Thanksgiving with my family. The problem is, my whole family is vegetarian and Todd is not. So I figured I should try and make him a turkey right? It would be the nice thing to do. However, me making a turkey for the first time on Thanksgiving would probably end in disaster, a lot of time wasted and still no edible turkey. So I was at work last week and a few of my coworkers were talking about the different ways to make a turkey, one of my coworkers described his method and it sounded so good it almost made me want to eat turkey. Not really, but I did ask him if he would make a small turkey for me so Todd and Jason (Francie's boyfriend) don't have to have a vegetarian Thanksgiving. He willingly agreed, and I hope he doesn't forget, I am supposed to get it from him at work tonight, all seasoned and stuffed, ready to put in the oven when I get home from work Thanksgiving morning. Hopefully I can manage the baking part.

I offered to pay him, but he refused, so I am baking him a pumpkin pie for payment. And since you can't make just one pumpkin pie, the recipe always makes 2, I will take one to work and have a little pre-Thanksgiving desert with my coworkers.


Were expecting our first snow here in Michigan on Thanksgiving morning. Our county is under storm watch for lake effect snow, with chance of lots of snow accumulation in a short amount of time. How great would that be to have a white Thanksgiving!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lori, I have to delurk to cast my vote for pumpkin pie as well. Yours looks delicious! I've been reading for a while-- I'm a friend of Lindsey's at Baby Makes 4.

Rachael said...

Bob made 2 pumpkin pies today (plus four other pies) so we are all set for tomorrow. I can't believe you made homemade crust. I'm impressed, I probably would have gone back to the store for the Pillsbury!

I hope that guy pulls through on the turkey or Todd and Jason are going to be pretty disappointed tomorrow!

My fave on Thanksgiving is a toss-up between sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

Libby G. said...

Hey! It's my pie! Hehe notice the name? I made my pecan pie, and it was all I could do to not just grab a fork and veg out on the couch with that baby! But I managed to restrain myself, even with this baby trying to pull me back into the kitchen to eat it! I did manage to teach my hubby (also named Jason, like the boyfriend in your post) how to make apple pie, so my house smells yummy right now, too.

Jodi said...

The pie looks great!! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving with the family tomorrow! Jaramee and I are heading up to the In-laws tomorrow, So no funny baby business until I get back!! HAHA

Amy said...

Dang it! I was SO close! I almost had pie and I forgot it! I may actually have to make one for Rick now. I am never going to hear the end of this.

Scoobers said...

That pie looks delicious! My tradition is pie for breakfast the morning after T-Day. I was in a panic Fri morning (5 am) when I woke to let Dookie out and have a little snack. THE PIES WERE GONE! Gasp! My mom had put them in the laundry room for safe keeping. whew! :)

Hope your Thanksgiving was great and that you've had baby by now!