Thursday, December 13, 2007

Swaddling blanket saves the night

I'm convinced people who use the phrase "slept like a baby" don't have babies. I was one of those people and caught myself saying that very phrase the other day. No, not in reference to myself (haha) but my dog Brewster who seems to be the only one getting good sleep at our house. Todd corrected me and said that phrase has new meaning and isn't really relevant in the context I was using it. I had to agree. Although last night was our best night yet, only had to get up twice in the night! And as a bonus Anthony slept in his bassinet for most of the night. I think it has something to do with his new swaddling blanket. Yesterday we went to a baby store to pick up my new rocking chair and I was asking the lady at the store what I could buy that would make my baby like his bassinet. I was thinking along the lines of a little vibrating pad to put under the mattress since he likes his bouncer/vibrator seat so much. Apparently they don't make such a thing, but she suggested a swaddling blanket made for swaddling. I was skeptical that it could swaddle my baby any better than the blankets I already have, but I was willing to try. It was after all a cute blanket. Before putting Anthony to bed last night I swaddled him up real tight and put him in his bassinet. To my surprise he stayed asleep in it. After he woke up the second time during the night his swaddle blanket was wet so I had to put him in a different blanket and he would not stay asleep in the bassinet, so after 2 tries I gave up and brought him in bed with me. I'm convinced the swaddle blanket is magic and worth every $22 I paid for it. Now I may just have to go and get me another one as a back up.

Since my nights have been somewhat sleepless and we have been on the go everyday, I am not getting naps during the day I am starting to feel the fatigue. Today I decided I was going to stay home all day and sleep whenever I get the chance. I got one good nap in already today, and it was so nice. I'm enjoying just staying home and cuddling with my baby.

P.S. Guess who got a haircut? I will post about that later tonight when I get an after picture, baby permitting.

12 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like you are having fun!

Who knew a "swaddeling blanket" would do the trick.

Mom said you are coming the day after Christmas. REALLY? I can't wait.

Francie said...

That's a great idea! You missed out last night... I made home-made eggrolls and they were so yummy!

Tina in CT said...

If the swaddling blanket works, buy another tomorrow since it works. have you seen the teddy bear that has a battery operated inner that beats like a mother's heartbeat. I've heard babies like that too.

The one plus is that Anthony doesn't have an older sibbling that you have to take care of and chase after. Try and get a nap once a day when he sleeps. Better yet, train Brewster to get up during the night and you sleep like a dog.

I'll have to go online and see what makes a swaddling blanklet so special as I've never heard of one before.

Anthony is just so adorable and I LOVE the picture of him in his car seat with the helmet hat on. Too cute!

Natalie said...

well, it must not be me your refering to, as everyone has already seen my hair, so if its you, post a pic already, if its Todd, thats a shocker, but it probably just looks like another guys hair cut. I miss baby Anthony, Im not comeing this weekend by the way:(

Mandy Lou said...

My nieces loved being swaddeled, but I don't remember there being a special blanket - we just used the regular ones.

Love the pics - though Anthony doesn't seem too keen about the red outfit :-)!

Rachael said...

Well, I got a haircut, but I know that's not what you mean!

LOVE the slideshow at the top. He's very photogenic.

Scoobers said...

He is so cute and SERIOUS! I love the blanket that your mom made.

Happy napping and cuddling. Enjoy!

I hope he is happy with the new do!

Carie said...

Hi, I found your blog through your sister Rachel and had to come see pics of the new baby! Adorable!

I bought a swaddling blanket and boy is it ever worth it! My little man slept so good in that thing. I think the trick is that it keeps the baby swaddled tighter than a regular blanket. Also, we realize our babies were sleeping better during the day because of the noise. Naturally babies are used to noise because of everything they hear in the womb. So, we bought a white noise machine and it worked great, the bonus was that my hubby and I slept better too! We also tried letting our middle child sleep in the bouncy chair with the vibrator on. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked. We would put the chair in the bassinet.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your little one!
w

Tina in CT said...

I just went to Google and looked up a swaddling blanket - ingenious - but it gave me claustrophia! Hey, if it works to pacify a newborn and lets them sleep, it is a lifesaver. Go get a second one so you have an extra when one is in the wash. It really is a sharp idea and some mom was right on "it".

BabyMakes4 said...

We used the Miracle Blanket and it was a total lifesaver!! It is so big that you can really wrap the baby up tight and they can not get out. It has flaps for arms and a pocket for the legs and everything. I think we bought three or four so that there was never any chance that we wouldn't have one. Glad to hear you got a nap today. Parts of me have forgotten what it is like when they are so little. I can't decide if I'm happy or not that you are reminding me. Just the thought of the fatigue I'll be feeling in a mere seven weeks is scary.

Tina in CT said...

Just noticed that it should be claustrophobia.

Cecelia said...

I looked for a swaddeling blanket when I went Christmas shopping today. Didn't find one.