Saturday, January 26, 2008

Revisiting an old favorite

Last week Ellen had this guest on her show, and I realized had completely forgotten about one of my favorite TV shows from my nursing school days. Trading Spaces. I used to watch this show everyday at 4pm. It's a great show to watch while doing other things like studying because it doesn't require your complete attention.
When I moved to Michigan I quit watching the show because I didn't have cable. My two sisters were living with me and only one of them (Francie) was willing to split the cable bill, so to punish the other sister (Natalie) who claimed she didn't want it, we just didn't get it. I thought she would cave if we called her bluff, but she never did, and we went a year without cable. By the time I finally decided to get cable (and pay for it myself), I had lost my passion for the show, the host was gone and the designers were different and I just didn't like it as much anymore.
I found out from watching Ellen that Paige Davis had been fired by TLC and the show ratings dropped. So they have now hired her back and the old designers are back too. I watched the season premier tonight (just after Miss Michigan was crowned 2008 Miss America) and now I think I will set it to record regularly on my DVR. It's the same great show I remember from when I used to watch it.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else watch this show? If not, check it out on TLC Saturday night at 9pm. It's probably the best home decorating TV show out there.


Just in case your wondering, I didn't watch the Miss America pageant, I just caught the last 15 minutes of it before watching Trading Spaces, and only mentioned it because the winner was Miss Michigan.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to watch Trading Spaces, but then after a while it seemed like they were doing bad rooms on purpose to get better ratings (ahem, HILDY) and I didn't like that.

And to answer your question, Lindsey is one of my best friends from high school. My sister's name is Lydia and I sometimes talk about her on my blog too.

Natalie said...

Glad to hear Miss MI won, even though I don't watch that show.Sorry about the cable Lor, Old Navy just didn't pay me what I was worth! Adam and I like to watch flip that house. Its really good.

Rachael said...

There was a time when I very faithfully watched Trading Spaces and Clean Sweep and What Not to Wear. I've kind of forgotten about TLC lately, not sure why. Guess it was a phase. Maybe I'll put some on the DVR downstairs for the when on the elliptical, though. Thanks for reminding me!

Tina in CT said...

Just read in Rachel's blog about your Etsy store and checked it out. Adorable pottery!!!

Great about Anthony's sleeping 7 hours last night. You must have been very happy this morning!

Denise said...

I used to watch it all the time. Now I'm hooked on the HGTV decorating shows.

By the way- How did you get your cool blog template/layout? I'm so sick of mine but can figure out where to find a nice one like yours!

Shannon said...

I think Tina got you mixed up with Natalie.

Tina in CT said...

You're right. The comment about the pottery was for Natalie.

Yeah So said...

I LOVE that show! I kind of stopped watching it once Paige left - it wasn't the same. I'll have to start watching again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I loved TS, but quit watching after Paige left and they did the whole restructure thing. I didnt realize she was back. I'll have to start watching again.

Amy

Mandy Lou said...

I always loved the British version "Changing Rooms" - but I can't find that anywhere, so maybe I'll try it. I'm totally addicted to HGTV, DIY and Food Network anyway, what's one more show!

kate said...

came to see the header rachael made for you...and nosed around.

i love trading spaces but cannot STAND paige davis. i was actually going to do a post on how much i dislike her. i think she's one of the most annoying people on tv.

now that's she's back, i won't watch.