Wednesday, June 10, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

My Grandma Annie finally made it home last evening. When Natalie and I arrived to the hospital in the morning they told us she would be going home. We offered to take her home around lunch time, which they said was the time she could leave, but she wanted to wait for Donnie (her son) to get off work and take her home. So we just helped her pack her stuff (she is kind of a pack rat, so in the 3 weeks she was there she had accumulated a lot of stuff, including all the postal packaging from all her mailed care packages). The whole time she was there she kept saying she couldn't wait to get home so she could sleep in her own bed that "bends in all the right places" as opposed to the hospital bed that "just doesn't bend right". Although I found it to be rather comfortable, and spend a lot of time in it, since Grandma was usually in her wheelchair.
Our last day with her was happy and sad, we were sad to be going home, but happy that she was. And knowing that we will be coming back in just 4 weeks made it easier to say good bye. We continued to ask her if she would come back with us to MI for a visit and she kept saying NO! We finally decided to let it go, and just let her stay in OK where she wants to be. I know she would have a good time if she came here for a visit, but we just can't convince her. I think she thinks we are going to trick her or something and not take her back.
The staff at the Rehab hospital all seemed genuinely happy for Annie to be going home, they all wished her well, as did the patients. Grandma Annie is such a kind person, everyone there seemed to like her and one man there asked her to pray for him. She said, "okay, what's your name?" I told that man that she would be eating cold lunches now thanks to him, she already prays for 2 minutes before each meal (we timed her) and now that she had to pray for him it'd be even longer, but that's a promise I am sure she will keep.
I am sure they are going to miss her there, as well as little Isabella. For the past 5 days we have spent everyday all day at the hospital from around 9am to 9pm, and surprisingly never got bored like I thought we would. Bella was doted on by patients, family and staff, and no one seemed to mind her when she cried. I think a baby makes everyone happy. Unless your on an airplane, but that's a whole nother story.
I called Grandma Annie this morning to make sure she made it home safe, she did, but not before making a stop at her favorite store... can you guess? Walmart of course.
She assured me that her bed was just as comfortable as she remembered it.
Speaking of happy to be home, I am happy to be home too and sleep in my own bed that bends in all the right places. I missed my husband and my little boy. Anthony got a sore throat and spiked a fever of 102.6 while I was gone, so now he is on ABX. Thankfully he loves medicine so it's not a battle to get him to take it. He is napping now, so I better get off the computer and get some stuff done, cause when he is awake we have some mommy/son play time to catch up on.


Natalie said...

Poor little Tone-tone. I forgot to mention Grandmas lengthy prayers. Glad you did, that was funny. Hope Tony is feeling better and yes, everyone loved Bella, she was a hit. What could grandma have needed at walmart? We got her anything she could have needed the last few days.

Cecelia said...

Glad you made it home safe. I bet Tony is so glad to see you. Todd too!

Sarah said...

Ha ha, my grandmother KNOWS that if she ever came to visit one of us, we'd never let her go back home....