Thursday, May 22, 2008

What's for dinner?

The new high chair was delivered yesterday. We tried it out during dinner tonight for the first time and it works great. His mess is now confined to only his upper body, and the chair is a lot easier to wipe up than the bouncer seat was.

Last night for dinner I tried giving him asparagus and he hated it. Every bite I gave him he sloshed around in his mouth and then spit it back out at me. So tonight he just had cereal with bananas (not real bananas, flavored cereal).

Any suggestions for what foods to give him first? Obviously he doesn't like asparagus. I thought you were supposed to start with green veggies first, then orange veggies, then fruit, otherwise they wont ever eat the bland green veggies if you give them sweet stuff first. But since he wont eat them anyway, I think I will start with some applesauce next.


11 comments:

Cecelia said...

That looks like a really nice highchair. Try green peas or green beans.

Tina in CT said...

Ditto what your mother posted.

Rachael said...

Our kids favorite vegetable was always sweet potatoes. Funny, because they won't eat them now at all.

Rachael said...

Oh, also, I read somewhere that you have to be exposed to a new taste at least 5 times to start to like it, so you're supposed to just keep trying and make him reject it at least 5 or so times before you give up. Still, I'd probably try something other than asparagus -- that has a pretty pungent taste. Try peas if you want to follow the rules and stick to green first.

PrincessGreen17 said...

It looks like he loves it!

Paula said...

That is the neatest high chair I've ever seen. I think I have highchair envy :)
I agree with Rachael, Hannah's favorite foods were Sweet Potatoes (yams) and butternut squash.
This book has helped me SO much. I love it because it guides you as to what to give and when
to give it.
Annabel Karmel's New Complete Baby and Toddler Meal Planner

Sasha said...

That highchair is cool! They are coming out with so many neat things now that I've decided I'm done having kids!

Shannon said...

Madeline loved sweet potatoes so much that the beta-caratine stained her skin once and she was orange for a day or so. It was one of the first finger foods she loved eating too. She absolutely hates them now though.

Natalie said...

I love it when he laughs his head of like that!

Tina in CT said...

I saw from your mother's blog today that it's your birthday. Happy birthday to you!!!!!

Julie said...

Okay, just read your moms blog and found out you are a handbell player. So are Sarah and I and even ADAM. Hard to believe? He played for several years at Andrews Academy and did a great job. We should do a quartet sometime. I know I could get us on the schedule at Oakwood. Ha, Ha.