Monday, September 21, 2009

A little update

Last week was a busy week for me. I'm still trying to juggle my current ER job and start my new business. I'm really looking forward to October because I only picked up 2 4-hour shifts in the ER to give me more time to focus on the business. So hopefully I get some clients. Having a business is kind of fun in some ways, my company bought me a new super cool cell phone and I also got a new printer/fax machine/scanner. It's kind of stressful in other ways though, for example, the monthly expenses far exceed the monthly income right now, but I am confident that this is only a short term problem.

This weekend I got a bushel of peaches from my cousin-in-law down the road and my sister Natalie was here too, and brought some pears she picked from a tree in her yard. She had the idea to make fruit cocktail... so after a belated birthday celebration for her at Sophia's house of pancakes, Natalie and Francie came over to my house to get to work.

We made 24 jars of fruit cocktail and 21 jars of peach jam.


There were 2 casualties of the day though. I decided to save the peach nectar after we were done with the peaches, so I poured it into a quart jar and was holding it in my hand to tighten the lid when it slipped out of my hand... fell to the floor... burning my arm... chipping my tile floor... spilling a full quart of sticky peach nectar all over the kitchen floor. Let's just say both Natalie and Francie were really glad it was me that did that and not them!
The other casualty of the day is that when we were all done with our 3 batches of peach jam, and were cleaning the kitchen, we found one unopened box of sure-jell. So that means one batch isn't really jam, but just peaches and sugar. So today I get to figure out which 7 jars that is and re-do them. FUN, FUN. I guess that is what happens when you have 3 people trying to make jam. We all assumed someone else put it in.

Anyway, when I was putting the pictures of the peaches on the computer, I noticed that Francie had gotten a hold of my camera since I'd checked it last. I love it when she does this, usually she uses her own camera and then I miss out, but I guess she must have forgotten hers, cause she used mine. Here are a few pictures she took of Tony, who by the way, is so cute these days. He is like my little puppet, he will do or say whatever I do or say first. If you do a stupid dance, he will too, if you laugh really loud or obnoxious he does too, cough, sneeze whatever, he will mimic you. It is really cute. And since I haven't done a blog post just about him, I will tell you a few things about him.
His favorite TV show is Barny, he LOVES LOVES LOVES it! Can't get enough of it, when it comes on he screams BARNY!! and jumps up and down. Don't touch him or talk to him when he is watching it or he will get mad and push you away.
He only eats vegetables in the raw, but will pick up a cucumber, tomato, pepper or any other vegetable and just start eating it like an apple. Until he's done that is, and then he just throws it on the floor and Brewster (the dog) finishes it.
He loves to be outside or at work with his daddy, Todd has to sneak out of the house every morning because Tony gets so mad when he leaves without him. If he even suspects Todd is getting ready to leave he runs to him and grabs onto his leg. He could sit in the truck or tractor all day if you let him. He has lots of toys and tractors in the garage to play with when he's stuck at home with mommy, but they don't even come close to the excitement of going to work with dad.
Okay, it's 8am and I hear Tony awake upstairs so I better wrap this up.







Yes, I know, he needs a hair cut.


8 comments:

Kristin said...

oh he is adorable!!! who cares that he needs a haircut he looks cute with longer hair!!

sucks about the jam though :( i hope your arm isn't burned too badly!

Shannon said...

Very exciting! You have a busy life right now. And Tony is ADORABLE!!!!

Tina in CT said...

How do you find which jars did not get the Sure Jel without opening them?

Hope your burn was not bad.

What a mess to clean up the peach nectar. Can the tile be replaced?

Tony is so cute.

What is your new business? This is the first I've heard about it.

Rachael said...

Your fruit cocktail looks great!

My peaches turned out good too, and we saved all the nectar - it's SO good. Yeah, that sounds like quite a mess though.

I think I needed to use more lemon juice in my peaches though. The longer they sit on the counter, the deeper orange they're getting. I hope they don't turn brown.

Natalie said...

awe... he's so cute. I had fun canning. and the colors in the jars look so pretty!

Brandy said...

How do you find the time girl? Looks like great sister fun. Tony is adorable. I love all the pictures.

Yeah So said...

Too cute! Sorry about the jam, though peaches and sugar dont sound all that bad to me!

Shanna said...

Hope your new business is off to a good start!


The fruit looks so yummy! I wish I knew how to can fruits and veggies!