Wednesday, September 17, 2008

EverDry isn't all that dry after all!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

If you have water damage in your basement, a wet basement, or flooding in your basement, DO NOT use EverDry of Mishawaka, they promise a dry basement for a lifetime to sell their product/service, claiming they are the best, have worked for NASA even, but when it comes down to it, and 18 months later when you have 6 inches of water in your basement they find some little loophole in the fine print of the contract to get out of their guarantee.

I hope everyone considering using EVERYDRY does a google search on them first and find this!

I'm not a big fan of our insurance company right now either. Apparently they wont be covering any of the damages or repairs. Last year they added a new optional rider to policies for a sump pump back-up or failure. The problem is our insurance agent didn't bother to tell us about it even though he knew our basement flooded 18 months ago. Isn't that just nice?

12 comments:

Rachael said...

That sucks. I was hoping insurance would pull through for you. It makes me sick to think about the thousands of dollars lost. (as I'm sure it does you.) Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Francie said...

WOW! Lori, this is terrible! Make sure you call me over when you need some help with whatever!

Elle J said...

A little hint from my prior insurance hat I use to wear: Any chance your agent was aware that you added your sump pump to your house? Any discussion regarding coverage/insurance of pump w/your agent at ANY time (prior to this current loss)?

Kristin said...

oh no!!!!! that really sucks!!! i'm so sorry! :(

Lori said...

Elle J,
My insurance Agent was aware our basement flooded a year and a half ago, so I don't know that we specifically mentioned a new pump to him, but at the time he told us we had no coverage because it was flooding that time. We then got our basement "dried" with the instalation of a new pump. He claims the rider (that would cover pump failure) was something they added new a year ago, and NO he didn't tell us about it, otherwise we would have for sure gotten it.

So any new suggestions for me?

Elle J said...

A potential Professional Liability exposure would come into play if the two of you had a discussion about coverage for your sump pump prior to the loss (ie: you asked a question regarding pump coverage, and agent did not offer rider if it was available at the time of asking, or misrepresented the coverage in general, etc). I was just giving some thought if there was perhaps a conversation regarding the pump prior that you could turn towards. I know this is highly frustrating. Hang in there.

Tina in CT said...

How horrible. I just can't imagine that a reputable agent would not have let you know about the new sump pump rider when it went into effect a year ago. Time to find a new insurance agent.

I am so sorry about all the damage and loss.

Mandy Lou said...

That's horrible! And a huge pain in the a** - so sorry. I soooo hope that you can get some kind of resolution!

Ellen said...

Oh, goodness...what a pain! I'm so sorry. Hope y'all get everything resolved soon.
Check out my comment on my blog (under yours) about the Georgia/TN thing ;)
Hang in there!

Kristin said...

funny blonde nurse would be amy. she was stealing that baby all night! plus she just makes me laugh anyway! :)

PrincessGreen17 said...

Oh what a pain...I'm sorry.

Amy said...

So I was going to comment on your water problem again, but...
Did I miss something here? Am I funny blonde nurse from Kristin's comment?