Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pregnancy Grumblings

Wow I can't believe I only have 31 days left before my due date. I haven't posted much about my pregnancy this time around for several reasons. One, I haven't had as much free time on my hands, Anthony keeps me pretty busy these days. When I was pregnant with Anthony I had tons of time to blog and ponder about the pregnancy and what my little baby would be like. Two, there just hasn't been anything exciting to talk about. This pregnancy has been nearly identical to the first one and basically uneventful. I do think I am bigger this time around. With only 4 weeks to go I only have 1 inch and 5 pounds to grow before I have outgrown my measurements with Anthony. So I am fairly certain this baby will be bigger. But let me make it clear, that is only okay for me to say, I am so tired of hearing people tell me that I am so big, as if I don't know that. You know, it's like throwing salt on an open wound. Surely these women remember what it was like to hear such comments when they were pregnant! Sometimes I'd like to respond to them with a comment of my own about their weight, but the nicer me stops the mean me and I let it go.
Well anyway, I said this pregnancy has been basically uneventful, which is mostly true, up until last week that is. We had just gotten back from our vacation and I had a few days off before I had to go back to work for 3 12 hour shifts in a row. The night before my first day back I started having really bad stomach pain, it was most intense in one area on my left side but the pain spread all over and was so bad I could hardly stand up straight. Luckily I have an OB/Gyn for a sister whom I can call upon any time I have questions. Her advice, after several questions to rule out preterm labor and other serious complications, was to lay down and rest and see if it went away. So I did, and it did. But the pain returned during the night and made it hard for me to sleep. I still got up at 5:30 am (the good employee that I am) to get ready for work, it was slow going but I made it. It was only 1 hour into my shift and I was trying to discharge this 35 year old man who acted like he couldn't dress himself just because he was blind. (surely he dresses himself everyday at home!!!) Anyway, I was squatting down on the floor trying to squeeze his fat feet into his too small shoes and I thought I was going to die I was in so much pain. After that, I found my charge nurse and told her I needed to leave, that I could not make it through the day I was hurting so bad. She found coverage for me so I only had to tough it out another hour, and mean time I was calling my doctors office to get an appointment ASAP.
At the doctors office they hooked me up to the monitor to make sure I wasn't having contractions (which I wasn't), and then they did an ultrasound to check the spot on my left side that was causing all the pain. They suspected it was a fibroid, and it was, which was first discovered when I was pregnant with Anthony, but it had never caused a problem. Well now it was degenerating, meaning it had outgrown it's blood supply. This is so incredibly painful. I swear at times it was as bad as labor.
Anyway, not to drag this story out, I was told the pain should go away in about 72 hours. Since I still had 2 days of work ahead of me, and just got back from vacation, I felt I really needed to go. Probably not the smartest idea, I had absolutely no sympathy for people coming in with crap complaints, especially if it was pain related, cause I was fairly certain that no one was hurting as much as I was. When one girl came in with a tooth ache and asked to be off work for the next 5 days till she could get into her dentist I thought I was going to lose it. I ended up going home early both days cause the pain got so bad, the more I moved around, the worse the pain got. Now it's been 1 week since it all started and it is just now starting to ease up, so much for 72 hours. So long as I take my pain pills every 6 hours the pain is at a tolerable level and I can function.
As if being in the last month of pregnancy isn't annoying enough, to have pain just makes it that much worse. I will be so glad to finally have this baby. Never mind the fact that I haven't done hardly anything to get ready for her. I currently don't even have a bed for her to sleep in. I have a bassinet, but a friend borrowed it and I haven't got it back yet. So I guess if I am so ready to have this baby, I bet actually get ready.


Elle J said...

Sorry to read about your pain ~ that sounds awful!! Not sure how close you live to your sister, but will she be delivering your baby?

Wishing you well!!

Rachael said...

So does that mean the pain is a little better today?

And, you look very, very pregnant but CUTE. I'm impressed you've done as well as you have. If I had had two that close together it would have been a houseboat tragedy. But, then again, you've always had more will power than I.

Geez, I remember everyone telling me Kristen was going to be 9# at least! And, then when she came out only 7-7, I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't her that was big, it was ME.

P.S. I am guessing 8#. In my professional opinion. :)

Denise said...

I'm sure it doesnt seem like it to you... but is sure seems like your pregnancy has flown! I hope all goes well for you and I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Tina in CT said...

I also feel that it seems like your pregnancy has flown by but am sure it does not feel that way to you!

I am so sorry to hear about the horrible pain you've had for the past week. You are amazing to still go into work and you have a physically demanding job with being on your feet. I'd have been home in bed wanting to be waited on. You're a trooper!

I hope the last weeks are going to be back to being uneventful for you.

My daughter was 5 weeks early so maybe you'll go early which would be nice.

You have sisters, a SIL, MIL and a husband all able to pitch in and help you get ready for the new baby. Ask for help.

Francie said...

I hope that pain goes away fast!
At least I did offer to bring you over some enchiladas! I got a little busy tonight so I wasn't able to bring over some dessert left overs, but I'll try maybe tomorrow and bring them to your work if you work at this local hospital! Just let me know where you'll be, okay?

Shanna said...

That sounds terrible! I hope it has subsided some more today!
As far as being ready for the baby, you sound just like me! I did at least get some clothes out and washed this weekend. We did finally come up with a name... last week or so.
I am lucky to have a desk job, I just sit around all day.

I was much bigger with my second. I think it had to do with them being so close together. This time I am much smaller, at least weight wise. I may be smaller than with the first even. Weird.

BabyMakes4 said...

You are so much tougher than me!! I can't imagine how you must have felt. I'm glad you are feeling better. I can't wait to meet your sweet new baby!!

Kristin said...

well if you need help getting stuff together let me know! i hope your pain isn't too too awful and you're able to enjoy the decorating process! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!